Flour Tortilla Recipe16 Jan 2021
Inspired by Joshua Weissman's 5 Ingredient Homemade Flour Tortillas and a bunch of reddit comments about making the perfect mission style flour tortilla.
You can just mix all the ingredients together, then roll out but I find letting the dough autolyse for 30mins before adding the oil and salt makes the tortilla's extra soft and tasty.
- 350g plain white flour
- 190ml warm water
- 6g salt
- 33g oil
- Mix 350g of flour and 190ml water a shaggy mess. Doesn't have to be fully mixed. Just make sure most of the flour is hydrated.
- Leave the flour/water mixture to autolyse for 30-40 minutes.
- Mix autolysed dough with 33g of oil and 6g of salt.
- Knead until salt is disolved and oil incorporated.
- Cut into 16 approx. 35g balls (use scales - it makes them all nice and even)
- Pre-heat a cast iron skittet or BBQ - you want it as hot as it gets.
- Roll out each ball into a circle. Get it as thin as possible.
- Place the rolled out ball into the pan. Cook until bubles start to form - then flip and repeat. You don't want to get it too brown (it's better to be undercooked and soft then overcooked and crispy).
- Place cooked tortilla into a teatowel so it retains some heat.
- Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
Then fill with whatever ingredients tickle your fancy.